Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Road trip to Maine - Rockland May 22, 2010

A GIFT FROM THE GODS?
READ THE FINE PRINT

Rainbow Around the Sun

Rena and I are on a road-trip – our first since South Africa in 2007. See Buchu Bushcamp

We are off early on Friday morning - our destination Rockland, Maine.
On the way into town, just outside of Rockland we pass a good-sized lake and on the
right is a house with a yellow jet-ski for sale.

“Rena,” I inquire sweetly. “Don’t you think it would be nice to own a jet-ski?”

“ARE you out of your MIND?” she shoots back. “What would we do with that?”

“Well, I am retired, and retired men generally need lots of toys to keep them happy. And I don’t have even one.”

“What about the rider mower you just bought?” she asks.

“Mowing the lawn is not play,” I respond definitively.

“You could’a fooled me. You tear around in that Snapper like Emerson Fittipaldi.” she demurs. “What about that long scrape on your baldspot.”

“A mere flesh wound,” I aver steadfastly. “I thought the crabapple was tall enough that I could
scoot right under.”

“Well you didn’t make it,” Rena assures me. “I hate to think what you could do to yourself attacking the ocean waves in a Sea-doo.”

“I guess that means no jet-ski, then,” I surrender. (Have to pick my battles and this one looks like a sure loser.)

Nevertheless, the next morning I get up early, early and go back to the lake where I see the yellow jetski sitting by the side of the road. It’s still there.

I pull into the driveway and there's a sign on it: "For Sale - $125.00"

"Exactly in my price range," I chortle to myself.
I am sooo excited.

I jump out of the car. The Seadoo is kinda chewed up looking.
“Probably due to previous adventures on the rockbound coast of Maine,” I surmise.
But at that price I figure, "What the Heck!"
Joy seems eminent and won’t need to be postponed!
I run over for a closer look.
Now, I can read the fine print on the sign:

"For Sale -- $125.00 -- Hull only -- No motor."

It’s all a big Coyote trick, and I fell for it – hook, line and sinker.

When I get back to the resort, the sun is burning through the early morning fog and guess what?
It’s completely encircled by a thin rainbow.
I've never seen anything quite like that before.
(And I even took a photo of it! )
I think my luck is gonna change. The Sun God intends better things than Coyotes in my future.
DAKTARI

No comments: