Sunday, May 9, 2010

Daktari Retires!

Free at Last!
Last Friday was a life-changing event for Daktari.

It was my last day of work - ever! I’m officially retired as a practicing doc and now can return to what I do best - playing. I now have all the time in the world. And every day brings a new adventure. Not that I won’t someday take up my stethoscope again. For now, however, school is out and summer vacation has no end in sight.

My last day at the office was bitter-sweet. Patients brought lots of presents! I got gift certificates to favorite restaurants and contributions to Amesbury for Africa. I even received a gift certificate for zip-lining at Deerfield Valley Canopy Tours in the Berkshires from my staff! Yippeee!

My most unusual gift was from Jimmy R., a large and boisterous diabetic patient of mine who has managed to turn a boyhood fondness for blowing up things into a vocation. Jim owns his own demolition company. His work allows him to indulge his inner child to the max. For my retirement, he managed to locate a British Army pith helmet worn by a Scottish soldier in the Zulu wars which he gifted to yours truly. Two things are known about Drummer Buchanan, the helmet’s owner: 1.) He survived the battle of Rorke’s Drift in 1879 and 2.) He had a very small head (size 6).

During the battle, Buchanan and 150 comrades fought off some 4000 Zulu warriors. I don’t know if his helmet made it through the battle unscathed. But its successor now resides on my mantel next to three hand- painted figurines representing Shaka Zulu‘s assegai-wielding impi warriors.

Jim promises to keep in touch and notify me when any big demolition jobs are upcoming. He says I can even press the button if and when! Ka-boom! What are the chances that on the big day I can wear kinsman Buchanan’s pith helmet instead of more traditional protective headgear? Sounds like an excellent jpeg for a future blog adventure!

My first full day of retirement was May 1st. This coincides with the pagan holiday of Beltane and with my friend Ellen’s 60th birthday.

Beltane is a ‘cross-quarter’ day, meaning it’s exactly midway between the spring equinox and the summer solstice. About a thousand years ago, Britain’s druids began lighting two need-fires on top of a hill on this sacred day. Following various rites and rituals, the local Celts would drive the village's cattle between the two fires to purify the animals and bring luck to their owners. The subsequent celebration on the hill would last all night, after which each local Celtess would carry back a torch lit by the Beltane flame to re-kindle her family’s hearth.

What better way to celebrate my newfound freedom and Ellen’s sexagenarian upgrade, than to perform an ancient Gaelic cow-cleansing ritual?

At dusk, we assemble at Ellen’s house and build a fire outdoors. (Lacking cattle, we decide it’s OK not to build a second fire.) Before the ceremony, each participant writes down on a piece of paper the aspects of his/her life which she/he wants to purify. Then . . . let the wild rumpus begin!

First we beat drums, shake rattles and blow our various whistles and flutes. Ellen leads us in a Sacred Circle dance and teaches us a paean to the Four Elements. We hold hands, dancing and chanting counterclockwise around the fire. Round and round we go. Gazing at the dancing flames, I feel transported to an earlier millennium – a wild and alien place and time. One of the dancers is a friend of Ellen’s named Deirdre whose willowy figure, copper tresses and lithe silhouette against the coruscating firelight seem a throwback to Celtic pre-history.

During the dance, we each choose a moment to approach the flames and toss our purification paper into the fire. The night is overcast and there’s no wind, so our transformational intentions soar with the smoke straight up to the dark heavens. As a final salute to the fire deity, we light a Chinese Fire Lantern (hot air balloon) that soars high over the Artichoke Reservoir before flaming out.

The evening is too soon over! “Wicked fun” - as we say in New England! I leave the celebration, if not purified, at least in a pleasantly pagan flame of mind and with the feeling that Summer 2010 is off to a promising start. Beltane blessings to all and best of luck.

“Lang may your lum reek.” (Long may your chimney smoke) as they say in Scotland.

(for more on the Daktari/Scots-cowherd connection click on: Meet the Masai part 5 )
DAKTARI

2 comments:

The Elephant Rag said...

Congratulations, MARK! This is a great leap!!! What courage. I am crazy about the photo that opens your post. Perfect acclaim.

Here's the end of a celebratory poem for you:

Dance! The whole self was a current, a fragile cargo,
a raft someone was paddling through the jungle,
and I was there, waving, and I would be there at the other end.

"The Whole Self" Naomi Shihab Nye

Daktari said...

Thanks Terry!
Love that snippet from Naomi Nye.
Is she any relation to our mutual friend Katie??
H